Tuesday, June 8, 2010

My Little Princess...

Wow, what a big morning we had. Madi had her year end celebration. The class has been learning about famous artists for the past 4 weeks and then creating their own "masterpieces" based on the ideas of the famous artist of the week. And today all their "masterpieces" were on display at the school cafeteria for all of us parents to go in and ooo and ahhhh at...followed by a little award presentation.

So we wake up and Madi wants to wear a dress, ok. So we picked out a new dress which was in different shades of purple with cute cropped leggings and I do her hair. I also remembered to explain to her that she needs to remember to fix her dress before she leaves the bathroom, cuz nothing worse than having your dress tucked into your undies! We then go down to breakfast. Now we had just gone to Ikea on Sunday and bought a tray of their cinnamon buns because the kids just adore them and I asked if she wanted a cinnamon bun. Yes! Ok so we heat one up set her up for breakfast so that I can finish getting ready. Tyler was in his own world thrilled that I'm all focused on Madi and thinks I didn't realize that he was playing x box in the other room with his cinnamon roll, boy was he on cloud 9.

After about 10 mins she comes to me and she can't finish her cinnamon roll. Well when SHE can't finish a cinnamon roll there HAS to be something wrong! and that's when it hit me. She's nervous about her art show. Well of course she should be, isn't every artist nervous right before their art is to be displayed?! (and let me just add nicely, that some kids had A LOT to be nervous about). But after speaking to her, it wasn't the art, it was the fact that Daddy was going to be there as well...and so will her "boyfriends." After months of Daddy saying, "Madison I need to meet these boys..." the day has finally come where he could potentially meet them and embarass my poor Madi. Not only did she not finish her breakfast but she must have peed about 5 times in a 30 minute span...or perhaps a UTI? probably not....right?!

Half way to school I realize...I'm wearing purple, Madi is wearing purple and Kevin is in a shade of purple too! OMG! Do we look like the entire Barney family going to school??? I really wanted to die. Note to self: pictures of Madi only.

So we get to school and she's all proud and excited and we take Tyler to his class first and everyone is admiring her dress and she's twirling around...what a little girl. She must get that from Kevin cuz I don't do that sort of thing! and then we head off to her art show. We get in there and immediately...DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNN....Danny! Now before we left the house she told me she wanted a picture with Danny and Andre because she will miss them when she goes to Disney so I promised that I will, and here's the chance. So I chatted with his mom a bit and I say "we hear about Danny all the time at home" and I find out that at their house they are always talking about Madison, "I don't like girls but I like Madison". How sweet is that? We do the whole picture thing and we're done great.

What was REALLY interesting was the reaction of the parents to these "masterpieces". I mean don't get me wrong. I loved looking at Madi's artwork and to see that preschool really isn't just snacktime, going outside, to the bathroom and build with some blocks. But these teachers really did a great job in getting these kids to create art work based on the original artist's vision. What's embarassing is when Madi will talk about these artists with me and well...no clue. I have no idea who they are or what they do and I'm dealing with a 5 year old so chances are she'll know if I'm faking it. Oi vay! and then you see these parents with their cameras and yes I had one too, but they were taking pictures of the artwork from all angles! Really?! a stick figure looks the same from all angles...no? And then taking pictures of the kids with their art from different angles...I felt like I was on "Zoolander".

But what was the best is the award ceremony. I give so much credit to these teachers. Each child not only got an award for something (and some things ridiculously creative), but she gave them each such a great introduction. Madison got an award for being the class social butterfly. That's funny. She would not speak to one single person while we were there and even the pictures taken with Andre and Danny there was enough space in between the kids for 3 adults to stand in and even them she wouldn't speak to! Then you have the best block builder, best helper, etc. And you know she was thinking, well he's a brat but there has to be something he can do...ok let's just say he's the best snack eater! and this one...can't draw, can't bild, isn't nice, isn't helpful...ok how about best nose picker! These poor teachers! To have to be nice when you can almost feel their pain.

So the end of the even came and the kids were asked to stand in line to go out to the playground and the adults will leave. I give Madi a hug and kiss and she goes off into the line. I take a few pictures of her and the class and then I think she died. I said "have fun outside guys, don't get too wild in the office." Madi's friends all whipped their heads around and looked at me wide-eyed. See "the office is a saucer contraption thing in the playground and only selective kids get to hang out in there. Apparently that's where Madi and her friends, oddly enough not one is female, hang out and not quite sure what they do in there. Thank god it's a saucer with windows and she better not be kissing any boys! And apparently this saucer is "secret", and no one sees them all there right?! Madi looks at me with horror in her face...and well I'm SO SORRY BABY! I've ruined her chances of being the cool kid! but on the flip side, this is preschool and only one other kid will be in her elementary school and he barely speaks english, so no huge loss there right?!

Oh and btw...as expected I didn't escape that without a comment about us all matching. And yes...I wanted to punch her in the face.

No comments:

Post a Comment