Saturday, June 26, 2010

Killing Me Softly...or well with my kids, not so soft.

It must be so hard to be 5. The need to be entertained all the time, not sure how to act in certain situations, the need for attention...all 5 year olds need a therapist. It's day 8 of school vacation...advice to all you new mom's out there..CAMP! I didn't know and didn't get them into enough of camp, it's expensive, but it will save you money in the long run, in therapy sessions alone!

These kids stick by me like a shadow. We wake up in the morning, "ok what's the plan mommy?" Preschool was great, but it has taught them to need that structure and being a working mom, sometimes having no structure IS structure! But ok fine...structure. I went and bought workbooks, crafty things, etc. what I didn't expect was for some of these projects to take less than time than I thought, so what do I do with the "extra" time?

So I have become creative. It is wicked expensive to have to take them out all the time for workshops like Plaster Fun Time, Chuck E Cheeses will only suck more money out of you, and playgrounds. Playgrounds are free, but the kids get bored of hte same equipment, so I end up driving all over creation trying to find something "fun" and that "fun" will last about 10 mins. I have found that they like to "help me". So my new creative fun is cleaning house.

We use swiffers to clean the hard wood floors and then we vacuum, dust and polish the glass tables and mirrors in the house. So much fun right?! I can't wait until they are old enough to use real cleaners and get into the real fun of doing toilets and the bathtub. So much to look forward to. What silly little people.

Now what else can we do besides playing clean house? A few times I've even had us out in the yard and I would trim down all our bushes and had the kids help me clean up, it was so much fun. My husband came home to find the bushes in the yard bare...it was pretty naked, and didn't have control of my muscles in my hands that night from all that. But at least it killed an afternoon right? ok...what else?

Well, we can venture out into public, or maybe a playdate? In either situation I always end up wanting to just melt into a heap. See when my kids get nervous they start to get diarrhea in the mouth, as I like to put it. They get nervous in public and shy and so to try and compensate and hide the nervousness, the diarrhea of the mouth kicks in. "Mommy what's that?" and point to the zit on my face that I tried to desperately hide with cover up. And I'll respond with a "it's nothing honey", and try to divert their attention. "Is it a zit mommy?" at this point I'm praying for the flames to shoot up from the floor and melt me.

Or we'd be at a playdate and the house we are at is gorgeous with more toys than a toy store, a beautiful playground and yard and the kids would climb up on my lap. I would ask, "why aren't you guys playing?" and Madi would respond "cuz this is boooring, and I'm hungry." I am so embarassed I just want to slam my head into the table. Hungry?! They JUST ate before we went over! and all those toys and a jungle gym...they are bored?!

What else can we do to entertain these kids?!? This is why I have no sympathy for Kate on Jon and Kate plus 8. Her job was to play with her kids and let people film them and they were making millions. Us normal people have to work AND play with the kids, but we are not making millions. She had nannies and all these places to take those kids, again they were actually paid to take the kids to those places. Don't be surprised if you find a mini mansion built in my backyard because of one of my great ideas to entertain the kids one day...

No comments:

Post a Comment