Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Whatever happened to simple?

I guess I've always known this, but it really has hit me that our world is just crazy...really crazy. Whatever happened to simple living? Our children can't even enjoy simple lives of just going out and playing outside without the need of having all this different equipment and that is because we have built them to be this way. We want them to be exposed to all these activities, baseball, soccer, basketball, etc and so now we go outside and just playing on the playground is "boring."

How about their diets? With the organic craze and kids who will "only eat organic." Chicken just isn't chicken anymore, it needs to be the organic, non-antibiotic chicken...what?! What in the hell IS that? and why would kids even know the difference?! HOW would kids taste the difference?! I'm gonna have to say the kid with that kind of palate should probably go work for Gordon Ramsay!

Then we have their schooling. I mean honestly. The pressures some of these parents put on their kids is ridiculous. I mean this is only what I am seeing in the kindergarten level! ok so if they are not reading Harry Potter yet by the time they get to 1st grade...it's OK! I'm praying that my kids can still remember how to spell their names and read ANYTHING when school starts again in the fall! Kids are thrown into all these enrichment courses after school to help them move ahead with their academics...whatever happened to a simple childlife?

Let's move onto potty training. I am still battling the overnight training with Madison. She is now 6 going on 7 in November. I am just on the edge of jumping. She tells me this morning that she actually does know when she is peeing in the middle of the night but she is just too tired to get up. So I go and finally google the alarms I've heard about. Honestly! Really?! Alarms?! Now we have to buy alarms to clip onto her underwear to wake her up to go to the bathroom? why?! our parents didn't have to do that with us! Why is it so normal now that there is a market for this alarm?!? it just puzzles me...I just don't get it. I can not allow myself to go there. So my next tactic. Complete uncomfortableness. Tonight she will sleep in her underwear and pajamas. I will take her bedsheet off and she will sleep on the plastic bed cover that is on her mattress. That's it! That piece of plastic is so not nice!!! Also, since she is so tired to wake up in the middle of the night when she needs to pee I will put her into bed when it is still light outside. If this doesn't work I may need to move her onto the bathroom floor...

No comments:

Post a Comment