Monday, July 25, 2011

And We Have Success!!!

Right when I thought there was no hope...we are on day #8 of having a dry bed!!!! After morning after morning of her waking up with a wet bed and losing the priviledge of sleeping with her "babies", her bed sheet, her comfy blanket, and the total loss of her body pillow she has finally found success.

I finally found a bit of a pattern...although I realize that our summer hours are way different from school hours so we shall see if this is for real when school starts...but this is what I did. She would go to bed at like 9 or 930PM and I would wake her at 1230AM to go potty. She would fight me to wake up and stomp down the hallway, bang on the wall to turn on the light and the whole way to the bathroom she would insist that she does not need to pee...then we get there she sits down and pees like a race horse...that's my girl!

So we started off with me waking her up at 1230 am and then again at around 330am and then we sleep until she wakes up. The last 2 nights I woke her up at 1230am and she went and she slept all the way through without wetting her bed. Last night I did try to wake her again at 330am but she was so exhausted she couldn't do it...just wouldn't budge, so I left her in bed. I'm so obssessed with this task that I myself have been having dreams and I think maybe even walking in my sleep and going into her room and making her go to the bathroom! I think now thta she's had so many dry nights she has her confidence built up and that helps. Her goal is 10 before she gets a toy. I'm going to let her reach 10 before we take the next step where I don't wake her and she has to do that on her own.

I know she's "only 6" and the "trend" now is that kids are older before they are completely trained, but I still think that's a load of crap. It's an excuse. I'm not saying I'm better, because look at me sitting her with Madison who is going on 7. For me a lot of it I think is because I such an easy time with Tyler and I got lazy. Well part of it is lazy and part of it is exhaustion. Having twins is definitely not easy and those without twins but with more than 1 kid doesn't have it easy either...so maybe not so much lazy as it is more like "running out of steam." When I was younger and in those years kids got out of diapers faster...but many moms didn't work. They had the time and energy to get everyone trained. Life was also much easier those days. So this business "trend" business I think is bogus, I think we need to call it what it is...we just haven't had the time or energy to get our kids trained. No shame to that.

So I think for us moms, cuz let's face it, unless you are a single dad, the moms are doing this, so for us moms WE need the motivation to get our kids potty trained. It's exhausting! and if we stop and "let it go tonight" we have screwed up all our efforts from the days or weeks prior. So all of you moms and dads out there trying to do this you have to stay consistent! Or you start all over...it's just like that house of cards...everything will just topple over! I know many moms are frustrated out there...just as I was...but you know if you are not ready to do it don't pressure yourself or your child. One thing that I think really helped Madison too is that she had gone through a year of kindergarten. I know I don't want her to be a victim of peer pressure, but this was necessary. So I had a talk with her and just casually informed her that all her bestest friends are all out of pull ups and I knew that in 1st grade that there will probably be sleepover parties and I wasn't sure what to do because SHE was still in pull ups and I didn't want her friends to know. That really struck home with her. She really tried hard and still is trying. So all you moms before you start this try and get some rest and prepare for a lot of erratic sleeping!!!

Let me know how you do!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment