Friday, March 4, 2011

Thank you Madison...

Today was a big day, I was the "Mystery Reader" in Madison's kindergarten class today. So at 11:45 am, in the middle of the day, I stopped what I was doing, got myself to school for 11:45 so that I could spend 15 mins to read to Maddy and her friends. How great was that? My mom never did stuff like that for me and I used to want a "normal" mom like that so badly! But we are chinese and chinese moms just didn't do stuff like that. pffft!

So I walk into the class and all of Maddy's friends were so excited! "I knew it Maddy! YOUR mom is the mystery reader!" and they all saw me holding the "Biscuit" books in my hands and the buzz of excitement just ran across the room...well except for Maddy. You would have thought someone just ran her dog over. Good lord what is with my child?!?!?

So as the teacher got everyone to settle down she says "Madison, why don't you invite your mom over to sit so she can read to us?!" and I watched my daughter nodded NO with her head...well I didn't care, I walked over and chatted with her friends. THEY all seemed to like me and THEY all spoke to me except for my daughter. So I read the books that Maddy had picked out from home and then afterwards her teacher asked the class to thank me which they all did. Then she asked that they gave me a round of applause which they all did...except for my beloved daughter. So she goes, "Madison, don't you want to give your mom a round of applause?" and Maddy nods her head NO. I wanted to die and I laughed and her teacher laughs and says at least she's honest...which I have to agree she is...brutally honest! So then I wish everyone a nice rest of the afternoon and left and Maddy could not even say good bye to me.

Ok, I get it, she's shy, but I'm her freaking mother! She was IN me for 6 months for the love, if you're still shy after that I'm not sure what else could help you get over that shyness!!! I'm trying to be patient with her and to embrace Maddy and accept that she is shy and not into sports. Me, I'm loud and obnoxious, can talk to anyone and enjoy sports except for hockey and that other one with the disc and the person who looks like he's sweeping in front of it...I get it, we're not the same. I try and do quieter things with her with less people and things that SHE likes but still she's not enjoying it. I am not settling for her sitting at home and just turning into mush...she'll become...my mother in law. Thanks but no thanks. I will win this battle. Even if it kills me I WILL win, I will get her involved with something that she WILL enjoy damn it. She will SMILE and laugh when she is involved...I WILL find THAT activity!

No comments:

Post a Comment