Thursday, March 17, 2011

Honesty...what a breath of fresh air!

I have been volunteering at the elementary school a bit and helping out with the library during Madison and/or Tyler's class and helping out with Madison's Daisy Scout Troop. I can't explain just how much fun and how refreshing it can be to be around a group of innocent kids. The things they do and say just because! They will ask you something because they want to know, they will tell you something because they feel YOU need to know, and they will do something just because they want to do it.

There really isn't anything wrong with that. It's us adults who make it wrong and that's why WE have conflict. I sit there and observe and I find myself jealous! How many times have I wanted to tell someone " you smell funny!", or "I just don't like you", or "that picture is just not so good...you are not a good artist." Just be honest damn it!

So today we're walking to school and Tyler, Madi and their friend are running up ahead and all of a sudden Madi comes running back to me telling me that she hates their friend. Well friend's dad is standing right there, did I want to die? YES! Was Madi overreacting? Maybe...but maybe not, because our friend has a history of not being the best of friend and he and Madi has been butting heads for a while now. Although this time she was REALLY upset. She never cries in front of people and she was flat out bawling and screaming out she hated him. I really didn't know what to do because now both my kids have had gripes about friend before at one point or another, but what do I do?!

I have to say though, I'm thrilled that Madi was able to express this. My darling baby girl is speech delayed and the LAST thing I want is for her to bottle up all her feelings. I WANT her to express herself. So say it Madison! Be honest! If something or someone is bothering you just say it! Tell it like it is...we'll just tweak the wording later on in life. You're a girl growing to be a woman, hear you roar!

No comments:

Post a Comment