Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Fighting words...

"MONA! blah blah blah blah......" That's all I could hear the Brian screaming at me. What was he saying? I just couldn't make it out. Why couldn't he just wait until he came over to me to tell me? What was so important that it couldn't wait?!? "WHAT?!?! I can't hear you!" He finally runs over. "I have to to ask you something." "ok" "um. Tyler said. um. Tyler said. um" Oh gawd, we'll be her forever. Spit it out kid. "Tyler said that his dad, your husband, is going to beat me with a stick if I go into your house." "No. That's not true." "yes it is! you weren't there! he said that!" "well yes, he may have said that, but Tyler's dad, my husband wouldn't beat you with a stick." And life goes on. So a few thoughts ran through my head. First. Funny. Thanks for clarifying for me that Tyler's dad is in fact my husband. Second, the fact that Tyler said this if he did say this. and third, the visualization of this happening. I know, some overly sensitive parent will read this third part and think I'm an asshole, but I really think in order to be a good parent we really need to loosen up and stop being so uptight, you'll sleep better, and your kids won't be jerks. I'm also thinking, when Brian approached me his mom was with him and it was apparent that this "conversation" the boys had was talked about at home and what was said is obviously so ridiculous that I feel it's ridiculous that she had him approach me with me. And by doing so he was being told to tattle on Tyler for saying something like that. True that Tyler should not have said that, but perhaps his mother should have given me a heads up that Tyler said this to her son and not had her son tell me...but whatever. Tyler comes home that day and I did ask him why that was said and he told me. He said that Brian was nagging him about coming over for a playdate and Tyler just didn't want to. He doesn't mind playing basketball or catch with him outside but just doesn't want him all over Tyler's stuff. However Brian insisted and was annoying Tyler and said Tyler had to allow him over so Tyler said well fine, but if you do my dad will beat you with a stick. I did tell Tyler that he should just ignore him next time and that if doesn't want to have a playdate I won't force him to, but to not say that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment