Friday, January 6, 2012

Eating My Words

"Mom! Are Uggs for boys or girls?" hmmmm....So this was such a loaded question not even knowing that it was a loaded question. Instinctively I said they are for girls. So then both Madi and Tyler came back at me with well a boy in my class wore them today!!! and I did a mental "oh shit!" and all these moments replayed in my mind. First moment: Why is Tom Brady growing out his hair?! He looks like a girl...Oh! it must be for the Uggs endorsement because they are trying to get into menswear. OMG did I say those things outloud to my husband?!? Forgetting what giant sponges my kids are?!?! and then second moment "Hey Kevin! your cousin bought John bought a pair of Uggs!" and to this he replies "What?! is he serious?!?! those are so girly!" another OMG except this would warrant a OMFG because this was just recent when my kids are ginormous sponges!

So now I have to eat my words. "Well guys, Uggs are actually for both boys and girls." hmmm....you could see the wheels spinning in their heads. And before they even opened their mouths to say "but you said..." I explained that "mommy thought that Uggs only made boots for girls but now they do for boys too." and I THINK that registered and they are ok with...I THINK.

Having my kids grow up too fast...eating my words...MAKE UP! Make up is the thing that many little girls love to play with. Madi is now 16 trapped in a 7 yr old body...I remember going through that stage and my mother would not let me play with it. I am willing to compromise though. I don't want her to ruin skin by playing with toy stuff so I went to Sephora and bought her an inexpensive kit that has shadows, blusher and lip gloss. The deal is though that she can only play with it on the weekends and at home...NO GOING OUT WITH MAKE UP ON!!! She tells me some little girls do but I will not allow that unless it's Halloween.

I've had to adjust so much as the kids are growing...there are so many things that I said I would never do, but I've had to compromise and do some but not all. I think it's important as a parent that we do adjust to their needs and our needs, if we stay rigid and in our boxes no good can come of that...

It's so hard when you teach your kids not to act a certain way or do a certain thing and when they see it in public they actually say it outloud. Like "Mommy you wouldn't like that" and it's actually something someone else's mommy allows...it's kind of well embarrassing I THINK for them because yeah I still think it's inappropriate behavior! How do you teach your kids to just think it and not say it?

No comments:

Post a Comment